“Without looking back, I move forward.”



Dec 28, 2013

New Years Meme

I did this one last year, so its a nice comparison! I know its a little early but I'm going away to see my family in a few days and then will be jumping right into school so I probably won't have as much time as I do now!

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
Traveled a long distance alone - I met a friend while I was in Japan, but most of the planning and getting there was all done alone. My friend was busy planning other parts of her trip so I ended up doing most of the planning for our stay within Tokyo. It was fun and a great experience!
I also got to work in a real ESL class, and teach ESL. I've helped and tutored, but never really got to actually play an active role in teaching someone English!

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I wanted to work on eating healthier and to work out more. I'm still having a hard time with the workout part, but I have lost just over 10lb's since last spring! It isn't a lot, but I only really got into it in August. This next year I want to continue that, and study as much Japanese as possible.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not anyone super close. My cousin is in labor as I type - though its cutting it close to the end of 2013! Ha!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully no.

5. What Countries did you visit?
Not as many as last year! Just Japan!

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Halfway through 2013 I finally gained a decent amount of stability in my life, I'd like to continue that into the new year. I also would like to gain a degree that I plan on finishing! Ha!

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched in your memory and why?
No specific dates... but May/June when I went to Japan, August when I broke up with Dave, and I guess November when I applied for JET.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Planning a trip to Japan alone, starting my path to getting fit/healthy, and applying for JET. Also completing 6 courses in one semester, when I'm only used to doing 3 or 4!!

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting my life on track earlier. I waited and waited, and put it off because I knew it would be hard... but then I just suffered more.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major. My joints have been good for the most part, I got sick a few times (but I haven't since September! Woo!) but that was about it!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
That's hard... I didn't buy anything major, even when I was in Japan.... I guess some of the Sailor Moon merch that came out? Figure/Journal. And some jewelry and clothes that I really like and wear a lot.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Dave's (ex's) I guess? When we broke up he took it pretty well. Can't think of anyone else.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Again, the ex, maybe my own? Only sometimes and only in the earlier parts of the year before we broke up. Things weren't terrible, but they were getting a bit rough. He was by no means a terrible bf, it was just becoming apparent that we weren't going to work out in the long run.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Earlier in the year, Japan. All year, school. Summer/fall. Paying bills and all that fun adult stuff.

15. What did you get really, really, excited about?
Japan! I also got really excited and enjoyed my Service Learning course at the immigration center.

16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Pretty much any that were on the radio a ton - What does the Fox Say... Burn.... I guess?

17. Compared to this time last year are you:
a) Happier or Sadder? Much Happier
b) Thinner or Fatter? Bit thinner
c) Richer or Poorer? About the same. Poorer if you count student loans.

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Go out. Travel. Hang out with friends - especially in fall semester.

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Study? Haha no, I needed to study, as much as I didn't want to. Um, maybe waste time? I found I waste a lot of time at home doing stupid things online, when I could be using that time for better things.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With friends :)

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Nope

22. What was your favorite TV programme?
I watched a lot of How I Met Your Mother - I watched every episode over the course of the summer and fall. Didn't really watch much else that I can think of.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not really. There are always people I don't hang out with anymore by choice, but not hate.

24. What was the best book you read?
Finally started the Mortal Instruments Series! I'm still only just starting book 4 in the main series, but I love them.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I actually expanded my music tastes a decent amount this year. Favorites would have to be Ieiri Leo, ONE OK ROCK, and Misaki Iwasa. I also got even more into AKB than I was last year!

26. What did you want and get?
I dunno. I wanted to go to Japan and I went. Not sure what else to list haha.I never really wanted anything BIG.

27. What did you want and not get?
Hmmm, lots? Haha I want a ton of the new Sailor Moon merch, but its super expensive. I wanted the new Sailor Moon anime to come out, but it was delayed TWICE during 2013.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Catching Fire or the Hobbit. Thor was also amazing... and so was the new Star Trek!

29. What did you do on your Birthday? And how old were you?
I turned 22 in October! I didn't do much, I had breakfast with some friends, then I had to work.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? 
Not having to push so many classes into one year. I wish I had noticed it last year so I could have added a few classes then so I could just do 5 per semester this year, but oh well...

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Comfy, laid back but with a mature/chic rock influence

32. What kept you sane?
Personal down time, and having my goal of moving to Japan next summer always in my mind.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jun Matsumoto will always be my love. Meg Turney I knew about before but really started to fancy/like her a lot more this year. I gained a new found love for Kazuya Kamenashi as well.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I can't remember what all happened this year.. Hmm...

35. Who did you miss?
My family, my friends in Japan - Erica!! Misaki!! Jacob came back this fall but I missed him for most of the year when he was still in Japan.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet a lot of new people that I've become close with in particular. I got to know a number of people in the History department at school, and some new co-workers whom I get along with really well!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson that you learned in 2013.
Listen to your gut. I waited for so long to break up with Dave and move on with my life and focus on what I wanted to focus on... my gut was telling me to just do it for over a year but I kept ignoring it. I finally listened and I've become a LOT happier and less stressed out. I feel freer :)

38. Quote a song lyrics that sums up your year.
"If we only feel regret, we will never forgive the past, and if we cannot forgive the past, we won't be able to smile...the future screams at me 'now's the time to press forward'" - Ayumi Hamasaki, Tell All


Thats it! When I get back (or while I'm in Vernon if I'm lucky) I'll post a massive holiday wrap up post :)






No comments: